Apple’s first totally wireless earbuds, the Airpods, were recently revailed alongside the Iphone 7 at the launching event. While they are still the buzz on the internet, we’ve rounded up everything you would need to know about them — the bad, the good and the weird.
1. Price and release date: The Apple airpods are set to deliver in October for $159, which cheaper than Samsung Gear IconX ($199), the best wireless pair you would buy right now.
2. Great Portable Charging Case: The carrying case supplied with Airpods is one of the best designed cases for wireless eabuds. It is white, simple and easy to store your earbuds, by slipping in the earbuds it will lock magnetically. If you have a chance to look at other competitors’ cases like the Dash, Samsung, Jabra you’ll realize the brilliant idea behind the case of Airpods. I won’t tell it here definitely. But one thing I would point out is their fast charging feature, which provides the Airpods 3 hours of playtime by charing in just 15 minutes.
The case can provide the 24 hours aditional charge for Airpods. It also has a lightning port for charging, and there is a button to trigger connection with your phones. When placing the carrying case next to your phone, you press the button the connection notification pops up on the phone screen, just tap to connect. If you own other Apple devices that are compatible with Airpods, then it will automatically pair with those via iCloud.
The carrying case is compact and when not use you can effortlessly store your earbuds in there.
3. Automatic pairing: The Airpods can detect and automatically connect to all Apple devices runningor Mac OS Sierra with the same iCloud account once they have been paired with one of your Apple device. For first time use, you open the case and place near your device. The device will detect and ask for pairing, with a single tap on Connect, everything is up and running. You can easily switch back and forth between them. This feature is not available for Android devices.
4. How they look on you? They look a bit weird on your ear: when you have them on, it looks like you’re wearing earrings. A photo of CNET editor, Scott Stein wearing the AirPods at the iPhone 7 launching event quickly went viral on internet
5. Size: Airpods look very much the same as lightning earpods included in-box with iPhone 7 and are not bigger ( they are probably the same size). The buds are incredibly light, and you wont’ feel it is there in your ears probably.
6. They can pair with any Bluetooth devices: Apple Airpods can connect with any Bluetooth support devices (Android devices, laptops, tablets). There is a small button on the case for pairing, you can easily locate it. Following those steps below shows you how to do it.
- Open the Bluetooth settings on your Android devices/laptops you want to pair with Apple Airpods
- Open the lid of charging case
- Press and hold the button on the back of charging case for a few seconds. Similarly when you connect Bluetooth earbuds with your phones.
- Once they are paired, you’ll see the indicator light on the case (between earbuds) blinks white.
But without pairing to iPhone, you coudn’t use typical features like touch control and auto-pairing. Probably, you’ve seen NFC (tap to pair) from Android devices, which is somewhat similar to autoparing.
7. Fit: One size don’t fit all, you may get a poor fit, bad luck! But Tim Cook said, Airpods stay securely in his ears even when he dances. The airpods definitely wont’ slip out, but un-sealed design as most earbuds without eartips won’t provide tight seal and Airpods let you hear the surroundings.
8. Processor to manage battery use and Bluetooth: Apple equipped the Airpods with a processor called W1. This chip will process the sound and connection and optimize the battery use. Other Apple products, including Beats X (first Apple-Beats around-the-neck Bluetooth headphones), Solo 3 and Powerbeats 3 also use this chip.
9. Caution: Not for small children. Because the Airpods are small and totally wireless.
10. Battery: The average playtime for every completely wireless earbuds currently available is around 3 hours. Airpods did better that they have 5 hours of playtime. You can check battery status by opening the case or adding the battery widget to notification center.
You can either open the charging case next to your iPhone, which should prompt your phone to display a popup with battery status. Or, you can add the battery widget to Notification Center’s Today panel using the instructions in this post. Keep in mind, the Battery widget will only include AirPods if you are actively using them.
11. The Sound Quality: Music is milk to feed your ears and and it is delivered by earbuds. Since the first earpods appeared with Iphone, Apple didn’t make any revamp about sound and design of earpods. As you’re expected, Apple changed the way the music is delivered to your ears by makeing earpods become wireless. Airpods are simple but very comlicated in term of hardware. However, Airpods sound nearly exactly the same as wired eapods except the low-ends that become a bit energetic and dynamic. Sometimes you may hear pop sound from circuitry of Airpods.
An intesting fact is that Apple built the Airpods with the same hardware components for audio that exists in earpods. But they sound good and better than other Bluetooth earbuds with a short cable like Bose wireless Sports.
12. Bluetooth connection: Apple did extremely good for keeping the pairing consistant. The Airpods have rock-solid Bluetooth connection with any devices they paired.
13. For calls: Only one side works for calls, which would be the first one you put on your ear. If you want to switch to the other, simply take out the first and put on the latter. However, the microphones in the AirPods don’t work for all apps. Apple may fix this by the time it releases.
14. Play when you put them on: With the built-in infrared sensors, the earbuds will automatic play/stop when you wear or take them out.
15. You can’t do a lot with tap control from earbuds: Just single tap to stop or play and double tap to activate Siri. No track navigation or volume control, to do this you must interupt the phone. Apple may focus on Siri/AI rather than how it looks and sounds. Users can interact with the personal assistant Siri and more via their earbuds.
16. No smart features: Aside from litmiting controls, the Airpods are not built-in with smart features like HRM and fitness tracking.
17. To increase secure fit of Airpods, the company Earhoox offer silicon jacket that has a hook that provide additional fit to keep Airpods stay tight and secure in the ear.
If you lose one of them either L or R earpiece, don’t worry you can buy a replacement from Apple for $69.
18. Apple Airpods Ad: The ad shows the dancer freely moves without cable or Airpods falling out. It is automatically connected to the Iphone by just by opening the case. There is a moment that when the dancer removes his Airpods, music stops and continue when he puts them back on.
19. Apple’s iOS 10.3 beta has been lease and it updates Find My iPhone App that include the most wanted feature for Airpods users, find my Airpods. To locate Airpods you open the app, if they stay within the Bluetooth range and connected to your phones or any iOs devices with the same icloud account, it will pop the sound. If the are outside the range, the App only shows the where they were last charged.
20. If you like Airpods other than while color, the ColorWare offer Custom Apple AirPods with color you can pick by yourself on their website.
A US survey from Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Research suggests that Airpods are more appealing to Apple Iphone owners than Apple watch. Slice Intelligence also reported that Apple takes on Beats, Apple’s owner brand to become the most sold bluetooth headphones, gaining roughly 26 percent of customers’ spending in the weeks since their first launch in December. However this analysis was conducted in a short period of time.
Update on 10/27/2016: Apple delays the Airpod release.
Update on 12/20/2016: Apple Airpods are available to order.
Updated 01/24/2017 by Tinh Le